[Lubuntu-comms] the USB chainloader that helps other USB drives boot

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 16:19:59 UTC 2014

I was asking because I had received a laptop a while back where I had
the problem of a broken Optical drive.  I couldn't install a fresh
operating system without first using an optical drive, as the BIOS
didn't support USB booting.  I did end up taking apart the laptop and
using a different laptop's optical drive to boot and install Lubuntu.  I
was wondering if this provided some awesome (and seemingly impossible)
solution to something I had encountered that I couldn't find a
workaround for.  I suppose this is something that would be hard to do,
unless you had 1 specific BIOS you were targeting and knew the internals
well enough to hack around and get a hack to boot from a USB.... :(
Though I am sure this will be a handy tool to have.  It seems like there
are quite a number of us here that get old 'broken' WinXP computers and
have to do some clever things to get them to boot, and function (reminds
me of Ali's current battle with his Laptop).
Fortunately hardware vendors are beginning to work to make things easier
for us now, rather than difficult (except the silly M$ UEFI debacle...
though EFI to boot straight into Lubuntu would make boot times
phenomenal rather than using GRUB... like a Mac does with its EFI)