Beginner Troubles

Leszek Lesner leszek.lesner at web.de
Fri Feb 14 18:31:43 UTC 2014

Am 14.02.2014 19:14, schrieb Ali Linx:

> On 02/14/2014 10:03 PM, Bob Grasper wrote:
>> Hi All.
>>
>> I am a linux newby (I know - what a pain, you may be thinking. I am
>> trying to breathe new life into a netbook that had Win XP on it. I
>> have very little experience of linux at all. Here's the problem: The
>> manufacturer of my netbook has released Linux Drivers and config
>> stuff for the netbook. This is badly needed for the trackpad made by
>> Elantech. The cursor jumps around crazily with the default Lubuntu
>> setup and this makes typing REALLY hopeless.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have reported that months ago, yet nothing happened :)
>
> https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg03075.html
>
> If you find a way to solve this issue (which is only with Lubuntu by
> the way), please let me know :)
This is a different issue here I guess.
As the elantech touchpad is not recognized and so the sensitivity for a
normal mouse is in use. (The synaptic driver was fixed when it comes to
this as far as I know)

>> I have downloaded a the set of drivers and config files from ASUS
>> from here:
>>
>> http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=30&s=1&m=Eee+PC+1000HE&os=17&hashedid=Ues16Gw2OcqSjUN
>> <http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=30&s=1&m=Eee+PC+1000HE&os=17&hashedid=Ues16Gw2OcqSjUNt>

Instead of installing this driver please try creating the file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/elantech.conf .
You need root rights for this.
So if the directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d does not exist create it with
the terminal command
sudo mkdir -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
Then you need to create the conf file and open it up with a text editor
to paste the config. You can either use a graphical text editor like
leafpad or a console based (if you know how to use it though).
The following describes how to open up the leafpad application with root
rights.
gksudo leafpad /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/elantech.conf

Paste the following configuration into the file and save it. After a
reboot the touchpad driver should work better. If it does not work at
all remove the file again (sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/elantech.conf)
otherwise try to tweak the settings (especially the delta values). For a
reference I got this config from a EeePC user @ ubuntuforums (
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1106542 )
Hope that helps