Very slow log in and log off for user

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 14:26:53 UTC 2014

I installed Lubuntu 14.04 LTS on a new HP Pavillion
(500-C6)   AMD A6 8GB SDRAM AMD Radeon HD 8400 Graphics.
It takes quite a while to go from login user password to
showing the icons on the  desktop and allowing you to start
a terminal window. It also takes minutes to  respond
choosing logout of the application menu in the left corner
or the shutdown icon in the right corner.
I tried installing the  property driver for the Radeon
graphics and it was faster but when it went to screen lock
and you log back in you get a garbled screen and have to
reboot so I reverted to the open source driver
Some likely candiates that might be causing  problems from
reading the logs

1. [drmm:radeon_acpi_init] ERROR cannot find a backlight
controller

2. Tons of Network Manager errors most requesting auth for
things that seem to be wifi or bluetooth related  I have
wired network off and don't think it has bluetooth,
regardless I only want to use a wired connection is there a
way to make it quit looking for theese. Would it work to
remove network manager and set it up  in
/etc/network/interfaces along with gateway like this
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address ipaddress
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway  ip address
Also where would you set up the DNS addresses I used to do
networking this way in Ubuntu 10 but I can't find my notes.

3 If I try this Is there a way to download the network
manager deb file so I could reinstall if I can't get the
machine back online without it?

4. There is a note  saying Please enable IMMOU in Bios any
suggestions on where to find this.

           Any help would be greatly appreciated
                Linda