How old is your computer - the sequel.

Basil Fernie basil at pop.co.za
Tue Dec 9 15:02:51 UTC 2014

Hi Barry, While I have had some problems trying to run Ubuntu even with
LXDE on some laptops over the past year or two, I have had a lot od
success recently with Lubuntu14.10, LXLE14.10 (for 64-bit) or LXLE14.04.1
for 32-bit, or, when all else fails, CrunchBang.

HTH (and remember, Lubuntu is not quite Ubuntu+LXDE; also, LXLE
incorporates a menubar slightly reminiscent of Unity)

Basil Fernie