Best local backup program for upload to cloud?

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 10:12:47 UTC 2014

Hi Basil,

I have used DRDOS too, and I liked it :-)

I suggest that you use rsync or cp to do what you did with xcopy.

rsync -Havn

or

rsync -Havun

show some useful combinations of options (remove n (dry run) after a
first test) and of course add source and target directory paths.

man rsync

contains a lot of information, but I think it is nice to get started
with something like the commands above.

The following script might do what you want in a much simpler way (using cp)
---
#! /bin/bash

echo simple backup script using cp -auv SOURCE[directory]...
DESTINATION_directory
echo cp -auv $*
echo press {ENTER} to continue or {CtrlC} to quit
read
cp -auv $*
---

But you can do so much more with linux. For example incremental backup
keeping several version. I don't think you could do that with xcopy.

Do you need many backup versions or is synchronizing (syncing) what you
want, do you want to remove files from the target (that are deleted from
the source)?

Do you need complete backups (cloned copies or compressed cloned copies)?

Best regards
Nio