Lost my GUI in 14.10

Henk Terhell hterhell at chello.nl
Sun Aug 31 22:26:35 UTC 2014

After purging driver NVIDIA-304 I got my desktop back with the default
nouveau driver.  However opening Firefox rapidly caused a screen freeze.
The older NVIDIA-173 did the same after installing and rebooting. I
therefore switched back to NVIDIA-304.123 from the list and again no GUI...
So now I know (a) the absence of GUI was caused by the driver and (b)
none of the recommended video drivers for Lubuntu 14.10 beta can be used
on this Geforce 6100 card.
For Lubuntu 14.04 (and 14.10 alpha) the recommended NVIDIA-304.117 does
not cause any problems.

Henk