Leaving no trace on the web or in life . . . .

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 21:40:37 UTC 2014

Hi all,
The first time I used the internet was back in the early nineties,
before that we used a BBS.
For all of you who don't know what a BBS is, you should check it out.

When I used a BBS, I would call a person's house with my modem to
connect to their computer.  I understood that by choosing to connect to
their network, they had access to my computer.

Now we connect to the internet on SO many things.  But, this is the same
as it used to be.  You connect to your ISP's servers, and they connect
you to somewhere else.  By getting on the internet you are automatically
vulnerable to hundreds of security issues in privacy far worse than the
one being brought up.  You should assume that your internet time is NOT
private, and seek to mitigate the possible damage, by using strong
passwords, clearing caches,  and using more than one e-mail.

I have a 'junk' e-mail and a 'public' e-mail and a project dedicated e-mail.
If my public e-mail shows up in public, I am not surprised.  If my junk
e-mail is public, I don't care as it is not connected to me in any way
that could be a security issue.

The more unsettling thing, is that the US government builds exploitable
backdoors into virtually every router that passes through the US.  The
hardware manufacturers probably also put in backdoors in the computers
we use.  If you own a cellphone, you are not secure at all.  There are
so many ways to exploit a cellphone.  For example, the gyroscope can be
used as a rudimentary microphone, based on the vibrations of sound it
can pick up.

A PUBLIC mailing list showing up in public for the community, is not a
bug, it is expected behavior.  It is supposed to show up in searches,
that is the nature of a public mailing list.  We (mostly) want this
information to be easily available, as this is part of a global
community.  Something we say on this list may help someone doing a
search for a certain issue.

Sorry, this e-mail was so long :D

--
Regards