disks utility

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 12:39:44 UTC 2014

On 08/16/2014 06:41 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 16/08/14 12:15, Leszek Lesner wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 16. August 2014, 12:13:36 schrieb Paul Sutton:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Any idea what the application is called for managing file systems on
>>> disks is called please
>>>
>>> http://zleap.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/disks.png
>>>

>>> i think its something like gnome-disks
>>>
>>> If I go to settings manager and type disks it now comes up with a
>>> completely different application.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Paul
>> Hi,
>>
>>  it has a weird name. It is called palimpsest
>>
>> Greetings
>> Leszek
>>

> Thanks I seem to have it installed as gnome-disks however it used to
> appear in settings manager as disks,  now it doesn't so there seems to
> be two entries or a conflict somewhere.
>
> as the item that appears in there is different removable drives and media.
>
> So where as before gnome-disks appeared in settings manager it now does not
>
> Is there a clash somewhere
>

> Paul

Hi Paul,
I'd suggest looking at the desktop files.
/usr/share/applications

Did you recently install something that may have interfered with this
package (like a PPA).

I just did this:

$cat /usr/share/applications/gnome-disks.desktop | grep Exec=
*Exec=*gnome-disks

so if you run gnome-disks from a terminal it should come up with the
correct program.
you might check to see what is in that directory and look around.  You
can also grep out
Name=
(which gives me Disks)

--