Getting ready for mkusb

Thu Aug 14 00:50:30 UTC 2014

Nio:

I have a question for you regarding mkusb.

With the bootable USB drives I've created in the past, I have had two
partitions.  The first one is for the system, which contains everything
that normally goes on a live USB drive, including the persistant
storage.  It's size is what is required for all of that.

The 2nd partition, using the rest of the space on the USB drive, is an
'extra' or 'data' partition, which is available for mounting when
running the bootable USB system.  You can easily put files there while
running the bootable USB, which can later be accessed by other systems
when you terminate your bootable USB system.

Given that, will mkusb use just the first partition (particularly if it
is empty), and leave the other partition un-touched, or does it
re-format the entire USB drive, taking out the 2nd partition?

I'm not saying that other people should use this two-partition process.
It's just something that has been useful for me, and the way I use
bootable USB drives.

- Aere

--
Sincerely,