Getting special keys to work [MOSTLY SOLVED]

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed Apr 30 23:50:09 UTC 2014

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=813387&page=6 #57 for
dbus-send commands that accomplish most of what I wanted.

Restart:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart

Shutdown:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop

Suspend:
dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.UPower
/org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend

Hibernate does not work, but it turns out that it does not work in the
Lubuntu logout menu either.  See bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxsession/+bug/1300798. But if
"sudo pm-hibernate" works, then you can also make Hibernate work from
the logout menu in accord with the given workaround:
     Create the file
/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla

     The file must have the following content:

     [Re-enable hibernate by default]
     Identity=unix-user:*
     Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate
     ResultActive=yes

There is also a dbus-send command which would be nice for a keyboard
shortcut, but even after creating the above file it yields a "not
authorized" error for reasons I don't understand. The dbus-send command:
dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.UPower
/org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Hibernate