Getting special keys to work

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue Apr 29 22:08:25 UTC 2014

The next problem is that Fn-F4 and Fn-F5 don't generate any keysyms, so
they can't be bound to the commands suggested by Andre.

To deal with that, I've been following the In-Depth Instructions in
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaKeys, and I have identified
the scancodes and picked a couple unassigned kernel keycodes, but that
article is old, and writing setkeycodes commands into
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh or /etc/rc.local seems deprecated (those files
don't exist).

Is there more current documentation for this task?  Is ibus-setup
supposed to handle this job somehow under Lubuntu 14.04?  Or is there
another place preferred for auto-starting setkeycodes commands?