Automatically reconnect to hidden Wi-Fi network

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 23:11:11 UTC 2014

On 04/28/2014 05:40 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> On 4/28/2014 6:37 PM, John Hupp wrote:
>> On a Lenovo 3000 laptop with an integrated Broadcom network adapter,
>> I installed firmware-b43-installer and then successfully connected to
>> my hidden (SSID not broadcast) WiFi net.
>>
>> But I see that it will not automatically reconnect.  I don't have to
>> re-enter the password, but I do have to click the nm-applet
>> indicator, choose 'Connect to Hidden Wi-Fi Network' and then choose
>> my already-defined connection, which indeed has been saved but not
>> used to automatically reconnect.
>>
>> If I edit the connection, I see that on the General tab it is already
>> set to 'Automatically connect to this network when it is available.'
>>
>> The only way I have gotten this to work is to enable SSID Broadcast
>> (which most users probably do, even though disabling SSID Broadcast
>> is a common security recommendation).
>>
>> Dual-booting this same laptop with Windows Vista, I see that Windows
>> knows how to automatically reconnect to the hidden net.
>>
>> In case there is a startup timing issue of some sort, I see that my
>> laptop's wireless radio LED doesn't light until the Plymouth splash
>> screen appears.
>>
>> Can I edit something to make this work?
>>
> I should have added that this is on Trusty.

Hi,

I am not at my Lubuntu Box right now, so I can't just check... does
Lubuntu use wicd or network-manager?
I think this bug was solved for network-manager so it should 'just work'
You should look in synaptic to see if you have wicd or network-manager
installed.

If you have wicd, remove that and install network-manager and go from there.
It seems to me that Lubuntu uses network-manager though...

Also, some wireless cards take a while to connect to a network (a couple
of minutes even).
One of my computers connects almost instantly.  One of the computers I
had, I had to wait and wait and wait, or turn off the wifi and turn it
on again to give it a kick start.
It was a b43 (broadcom) chipset... so you may just have to be patient.

But, this is GNU/Linux there is always a way to get something to work.