Automatically reconnect to hidden Wi-Fi network

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Mon Apr 28 22:37:40 UTC 2014

On a Lenovo 3000 laptop with an integrated Broadcom network adapter, I
installed firmware-b43-installer and then successfully connected to my
hidden (SSID not broadcast) WiFi net.

But I see that it will not automatically reconnect.  I don't have to
re-enter the password, but I do have to click the nm-applet indicator,
choose 'Connect to Hidden Wi-Fi Network' and then choose my
already-defined connection, which indeed has been saved but not used to
automatically reconnect.

If I edit the connection, I see that on the General tab it is already
set to 'Automatically connect to this network when it is available.'

The only way I have gotten this to work is to enable SSID Broadcast
(which most users probably do, even though disabling SSID Broadcast is a
common security recommendation).

Dual-booting this same laptop with Windows Vista, I see that Windows
knows how to automatically reconnect to the hidden net.

In case there is a startup timing issue of some sort, I see that my
laptop's wireless radio LED doesn't light until the Plymouth splash
screen appears.

Can I edit something to make this work?