bootable usb-stick forPB G4 17" ?

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 06:32:06 UTC 2014

2014-04-25 23:52, farinet at arcor.de skrev:
> Am 25.04.2014 22:20, schrieb lubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com:
>> I boot from USB stick on a Titanium PowerBook G4.  Use dd to put the
>> image onto the stick then do something like the following at the OF boot
>> prompt:
>>
>> 	boot usb1/@1:2,\\yaboot
>>
>> It will be either usb1 or usb0 depending on the port used.
>
> I did the following (on an amd machine):
>
> ---
> dd if=~/Downloads/lubuntu-14.04-desktop-powerpc.iso bs=1M of=/dev/sdb
> ---
>
> Apparently that worked well (the usb stick looks fine so far).
>
> Then, at the yaboot prompt (on the PB - it was not used for a couple of
> years - there is an old and totally messed up debian ppc installation) i
> put in like you suggest (not so easy since i've a german keyboard layout
> and the mac 3rd level chars are on unusual places ;) ):
>
> ---
> boot usb1/@1:2,\\yaboot
> ---
>
> But unfortunately that gives me an error:
>
> ---
> Please wait, loading kernel ...
> boot: Not a valid ELF image
> ---
>
> I'm clueless at this point.
>
> TIA for your patience!

Hi,

I have no Mac, so I know very little about Macs. I think Lars Noodén is
our expert concerning several versions of Mac computers.

But I know about a thread by Quackers with a similar subject in the
Ubuntu Forums. See this link

I don't know how relevant it is, but I hope it can add some tips how to
solve your problem.

-o-

And finally a maybe stupid question concerning the ELF error: Is a
powerbook a powerpc? What iso file should be used for a powerbook?

Best regards
Nio