mainline kernel and preferred kernel

farinet at arcor.de farinet at arcor.de
Tue Apr 22 12:17:52 UTC 2014

Am 22.04.2014 12:47, schrieb lubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com:
> Am Dienstag, 22. April 2014, 11:15:00 schrieb farinet at arcor.de:
>> > Since i found somewhere - to resolve my a2dp problem - the suggestion to
>> > try with the 3.15 mainline kernel, i installed this. The kernel works
>> > fine so far, but that specific problem, for me at least, isn't solved by
>> > it. Now, in the grub menu, the mainline kernel is the topmost (i do not
>> > like to remove it, since together with the 3.13 kernel it's the only one
>> > i have and i prefer to have at least 2, to have an alternative in case
>> > of problems) but i would like to start by default in the default kernel.
>> >
>> > How is this done (by modifying grub, i presume??), if it can be done?
> You can change the default boot entry in /etc/default/grub at the option
> GRUB_DEFAULT=X (where X is the number of the default boot entry starting with
> 0 for the first one)
>
> You could also set
> GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
> GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
>
> so it remembers the last choice and sets it as default.

Great! The latter one- imho  - is the more elegant (like the login
manager(s) treat the choice of DE!) one. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Just an additional question out of curiousity: Would that, or the
existance of a mainline kernel, in some way obstacle the - expectable -
upgrades of the default (Ubuntu) kernel?