Fw: Re: Live 14.04 system locks up under heavy I/O with external NTFS-formatted usb2 drives

Daniel Kulesz daniel.ina1 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:33:37 UTC 2014

Hi Nio,

many thanks for your hints.

> It is possible that you have the same or a similar 'very oldest' Pentium
> M at 1.2 GHz, that does not work properly with PAE. Install cpuid and run
>
> cpuid|grep ^00000001
>
> and compare to the result in the following link
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE#Test
>
> and the only listed item that does not work well with fakePAE.

Either I did something wrong, or I did not get any output at all for this command. I attached my complete cpuid output, hoping that it can contribute to answering this question. Actually, this is really a very early 1.2 GHz Pentium M with Banias core, and it's soldered to the board.

> There might be other problems, for example bad RAM, that can be checked
> with memtest at boot, or problems with some other hardware.

Will do so, but I check memory regularly and last time there were no issues and the machine runs also stable with other Lubuntu 12.04 (after manually switching kernels, so no FakePAE) and Windows XP.

It also seems to run Lubuntu with FakePAE just fine until I apply the heavy IO.

Cheers, Daniel