Fwd: Re: 14.04 Look and Feel: many items are VERY faint

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 05:30:15 UTC 2014

Hi John,
(please reply to the list so everyone can see your added info)
I am thinking you may need to try the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

However.... it seems you may need the NVIDIA 96 package which is not
available in 14.04...
I had a similar issue with 12.04... but I do not remember the exact
graphics card I had.... and I have since given that computer to a
believer friend who didn't have one.

So... that said, there is ALWAYS a way to get things to work in
GNU/Linux... the source code is open and free. Some things are nice and
easy, and some things are not... but you learn a lot with those :)  win
win in my opinion.
hopefully someone else on this list knows a bit more about what ever
happened to nvidia-96.
Nouveau has been getting remarkably better as time goes on, but there
are sometimes regressions.  You might try searching for a bit with your
specific card and the word nouveau to see if there are any
bugs/workarounds listed somewhere.  If the solution looks too hard, then
you may post it here so we can help you if you like :D

If I get some time I will look into your issue... but I have been so
very busy lately, it is best if you look too :)