Printer installs, status OK, but won't print

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:13:11 UTC 2014

On 21/04/14 15:59, John Hupp wrote:
> Under the newly installed 14.04, a USB-connected HP 1315 PSC installed
> cleanly, and its status is OK, but it won't print.  A small test job
> appears in the queue briefly and then disappears, but on the printer
> there is no activity whatsoever.
>
> Printer Properties: Settings: Printer State is currently: Idle -
> Sending data to printer.
>
> During installation I selected for the driver: HP LaserJet 1300
> Foomatic/pxlmono [en] (recommended), which I think is part of the
> HPLIP collection.
>
> I do note that though the above was the recommended driver, this is
> not a LaserJet but an inkjet, so that is the only suspicious item in
> my view.
>
> The printer was working fine under Win XP.
>
> The machine is a Pentium 4 @ 1.6 GHz with 500 MB.
>
> How can I troubleshoot this?

Hi John,

The HPLIP website says that your printer is supported:-

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/psc/psc_1310_series.html

I think that you may have selected the wrong driver. The web page
suggests that the driver name should be something like PSC_1310_Series.
Try deleting the laserjet driver and adding the printer again, then look
for a driver with a PSC name.

Barry T