Printer installs, status OK, but won't print

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Mon Apr 21 14:59:07 UTC 2014

Under the newly installed 14.04, a USB-connected HP 1315 PSC installed
cleanly, and its status is OK, but it won't print.  A small test job
appears in the queue briefly and then disappears, but on the printer
there is no activity whatsoever.

Printer Properties: Settings: Printer State is currently: Idle - Sending
data to printer.

During installation I selected for the driver: HP LaserJet 1300
Foomatic/pxlmono [en] (recommended), which I think is part of the HPLIP
collection.

I do note that though the above was the recommended driver, this is not
a LaserJet but an inkjet, so that is the only suspicious item in my view.

The printer was working fine under Win XP.

The machine is a Pentium 4 @ 1.6 GHz with 500 MB.

How can I troubleshoot this?