sound missing on Trusty upgrade

ø carsrcoffins23 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 15:44:00 UTC 2014

> I'm totally stumped about this one. I was even listening to music while
> do-release-upgrade was doing its thing but upon restart, I've got no
> sound. I first looked to pulse, which was installed (I think it came
> along with tuxguitar and I never noticed) so I removed it. No change. I
> tried force-reloading ALSA, but that did not elicit a change. I toggled
> muting in alsamixer to no avail. I killed the timidity deamon (yeah, I
> do a lot of audio stuff) which has been reported to be an issue and
> nothing. Still, I have what appears to be a working system, as reported
> by aplay, play, mplayer, audacious, etc. Nothing is complaining and yet
> I don't have sound. I feel I can rule out a hardware issue because
> previously it did work. That being said, below is some information that
> I hope helps someone figure this out!

it turns out that i wasn't toggling the alsamixer muting in the right
combination. so, i'm good. but there's this weird "auto mute" feature i
have that i fear may be the problem. it doesn't work right. it will mute
the speakers on headphones (good) but then when i unplug the headphones
it doesn't UN-mute the speakers. anyone know what to do about THAT?

wxl