media player

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 12:22:43 UTC 2014

Ok, yeah... the commands as follows:

sudo apt-get install libdvdread4 regionset vlc
this installs the dvd reading library, the region setting program and vlc

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
this installs the content srcambling decoder (DRM videos have css which
scrambles the content)

sudo ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd
this makes a symbolic link (you can think of it like a bookmark) from
your scd0 to your dvd directory for vlc (and other programs)

sudo regionset
this one is kinda dangerous.  you can only do this one a certain amount
of times, before your DVD player is permenantly the region you specify.
using 0 is generally a good choice, as it lets you watch 'any' DVD.

   The only command you probably needed to run was the one to install
the decoder.  The restricted package brings in libdvdread4, and you had
vlc already.... and since you could watch dvds on your mint install your
dvd drive must have had the right region code.... however you may have
had to link the srcd0 to the dvd directory (or I suppose you could tell
vlc to look there instead of /dev/dvd).

Glad you figured it out!!  Hope my commentary makes it easier to
understand what you did (if you ever need to do this again)