My Lubuntu Trusty upgrade experiences

Ali Linx ali.linux at amjjawad.net
Fri Apr 18 21:32:11 UTC 2014

On 04/18/2014 06:38 PM, Brian Murray wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 04:27:38PM +0200, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> 2014-04-18 16:16, Dale Visser skrev:
>>> My suggestion for the future is not to jump the starting gun with the
>>> announcement, i.e., please don't announce until people will be able to
>>> easily upgrade with update-manager, or at least give a warning in the
>>> announcement that some time may pass before update-manager will see the
>>> upgrade possibility.
>>>
>> +1
>>
>> I think this is a general Ubuntu issue. Maybe Ubuntu-quality is a better
>> forum, so I add it to the recipient list.
Hi,

> The release announcement for Ubuntu did include a warning albeit a
> subtle one:
>
> "Users of Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.10 will be offered an automatic upgrade to
> 14.04 LTS via Update Manager shortly."

Indeed, there is:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2014-April/000182.html

The 'real' problem is, only very few who actually 'read' the
announcement/release notes. I have no idea why people don't listen to
any advice nor actually read?
I have spent 3 hours or more today just to repeat the same sentence to
Ubuntu GNOME users: "please read the release notes".

The answer of all/most of the Qs - at least in my case which is Ubuntu
GNOME related - that I have answered today, was here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuGNOME

Most of users blame the system but when they think about it for a
minute, they will figure out they didn't read the notes :)

It happens with each release and I don't think it will ever over :(
> --
> Brian Murray

Thank you!

--