Lubuntu 14.04 Beta Testing

Aere Greenway Aere at
Tue Apr 8 05:12:13 UTC 2014


I installed the current development build of Lubuntu 14.04 i386 desktop 
on an HP deskpro (933 megahertz, 512 MB RAM) test machine.

I observed that as with Lubuntu 13.10, it still had the 'jagged graphics 
gradients' (tearing).  So this problem was not fixed for this particular 
machine on 14.04, as I had hoped from reading a prior e-mail.

The installation completed without any problems (I did the manual 
partitioning option, and there was an existing swap partition).

On reboot, I encountered two problems.

First, I did not have any sound, playing first an MP3 file referenced by 
Firefox (the player at the bottom of the window acted like it was 
playing, but there was no sound).

The volume control in the task-bar indicated a volume level of 55%.

I then tried playing a WAV file using Audacious, which similarly went 
through the motions of playing, but there was no sound.

I then downloaded PulseAudio and PavuControl, which showed the 
Soundblaster Live card to be properly configured.

I then tried generating music using the Java Sound synthesizer, which 
again went through the motions, but no sound.

I then tried generating music directly to the Soundblaster Live card 
using the ALSA sequencer, which again went through the motions, but no 
sound (yes, I did make sure a soundfont was loaded).

I crawled down behind the machine, checking if a cat had somehow pulled 
loose the audio cable, but it was secure.

I booted my other partition (UbuntuStudio 12.04 LTS) of the same 
machine, and sound worked fine, so it wasn't a cable or hardware problem.

I rebooted Lubuntu 14.04, and then (as if by magic) sound worked with 
everything - with no problems.

So the first problem, is that sound did not work at all on the initial 
boot of Lubuntu 14.04 on my system after installation.

The second problem, was when I installed my dependencies package (using 
GDebi), it listed the dependencies properly, but reported an error, 
saying it couldn't install the dependencies, and that I needed to do 
"apt-get install -f" in a terminal window to fix the problem.

When I did that, all of the dependencies got installed properly, but 
I've never had to do that before.  In past releases, gdebi installed the 

I am wondering if this is an artifact of 14.04 not yet being officially 
released, or the repositories not being in their release state for 14.04.

I will be glad to document this testing, if someone can point me to 
where I need to enter it.


More information about the Lubuntu-users mailing list