zRAM broken on Raring?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri Sep 27 21:28:57 UTC 2013

On Raring, output from 'sudo parted -l' includes:

     Error: /dev/zram0: unrecognised disk label

And syslog shows a slew of errors:

     Lubuntu kernel: Buffer I/O error on device zram0, logical block 128247

Syslog also indicates that half of memory was given to zram to form its
block device.

Does this mean that half of memory is dedicated to something that isn't
working?  And perhaps that machines will hang when swap is needed?

I arrive at this line of questioning because I was testing an LTSP
client using a Lubuntu LTSP server configured with 1 GB, and when I drop
the client memory configuration to 256 MB, the *server* has hung on
several occasions when I was starting or stopping Firefox on the client
(though in one case this coincided with the startup of a SpiderOak
backup operation).   I didn't think of the Magic SysRq keys at the time,
and nothing else was responding, so I did hard shutdowns.

I saw a post from Phill Whiteside recently concerning a rush of activity
re a zram bug, but it seemed to be directed at Saucy.

Are there solutions/workarounds?