keymapping (was Re: Evince image viewer cannot view PNG)

Tue Sep 24 16:27:04 UTC 2013

On 09/24/2013 03:38 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:
> Looking at the menu option I suggested above on a clean install from the
> 2013-09-24 Alternate AMD64+mac image, I can see that lxkeymap is not
> installed in the base for Lubuntu.  I didn't notice when it disappeared
> since I don't use it so much.  Unfortunately the beta2 disc image is 7MB
> oversize already.
Lars:

Regarding the AMD64 version being 7MB oversize--

 From the standpoint of an assembly-language programmer, if you are
using 64-bit addresses, every time in the code you reference an address
that is not relative to a pointer, the assembler will generate a 64-bit
address.

If you were using 32-bit addresses in the above cases, it would generate
a 32-bit address.

Because of this, I would expect code compiled specifically for 64-bit
address architecture to occupy more disk space than code strictly using
32-bit addresses.

I wonder if the AMD64 ISO of Lubuntu is larger than will fit on a CD
(for that reason), but the 32-bit architecture version perhaps fits on a
CD.

I am awaiting the announcement of the Lubuntu 13.10 beta2 ISO
availability before I start testing, and then I will be able to answer
this from my own observations, rather than by speculation.

--
Sincerely,
Aere