Fwd: One Button Installer, 'OBI'

Fri Sep 13 21:58:42 UTC 2013

On 09/13/2013 02:41 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> The purpose was and is to make it simple, very simple. There is 'no
> button' for multiple partitions. The OBI uses and makes only one root
> partition and one swap partition on one drive.
>
> Maybe in the future I might make a modified and more advanced version.
> I'm thinking of partitioning with gparted, and running the One Button
> Installer afterwards. The unallocated space or the extended partition
> might be used. Or specific partitions. Do you think many people (or even
> most linux users) need dual or multiple boot?
>
> But it can select drives, so if you have several drives, internal and
> external, the OBI can select which one to use as target for the
> installation. You can install to any of several internal drives or to a
> USB HDD, USB pendrive, flash card or eSATA drive.
>
> One interesting thing to make is a portable system on a USB pendrive or
> a USB HDD (at least 4 GB for Lubuntu and Bodhi, at least 8 GB for the
> other systems). A cheap USB 2 pendrive or flash card is rather slow, but
> usually it works. (If it can boot with an iso file, it can boot with
> grub, that is used with the OBI.)
>
> Maybe you could use one computer temporarily for testing:-D
Nio:

Thanks for the additional information.

You might want to include a warning (if you don't have it already) that
the installation will reformat the entire (selected?) drive, destroying
all existing partitions on that drive.

If I hadn't thought carefully about this before trying it, I would have
wreaked havoc on the unfortunate machine I used it on.

I think a good behavior for it, would be that if it saw multiple
partitions on the target drive, it would allow the user to choose one of
them for installation (Windows 7 upgrade does something like that).

Of course, if you have to implement an OS-prober (like what GRUB does),
that could be a lot of work.