Another Autostart problem: SpiderOak backup

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Mon Oct 28 17:36:12 UTC 2013

I'm running Spideroak just fine on a 13.04 machine.

However, in a fresh installation of 13.10 Spideroak does not autostart.

I see that Spideroak's intended launch point is
~/.config/autostart/SpiderOak.desktop, and that shortcut is present.

In the current thread with subject ".config/autostart" there was a
reference to Leszek Lesner's 2011 video re Autostart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cuQvQBIAo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cuQvQBIAo&app=desktop>

That video includes coverage of Preferences > Desktop Session Settings,
but I don't have that menu item in my fresh full install of 13.10.  Is
this a bug, or is the functionality of Desktop Session Settings now
supposed to be provided via Preferences > Default Applications for
LXSession?

Another question -- I find these two folders:
/etc/xdg/autostart (a global autostart location)
~/.config/autostart (a local autostart location)

But also these two files:
/etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart
~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart

Are the latter two files for a deprecated but still supported autostart
method?  Is there nice documentation somewhere for current autostart
methods?