Installing LXQt on an Ubuntu (or derived) system

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 1 17:29:30 UTC 2013

Hi,

For people you need an LXQt environment to develop, test or report bugs,
you can now use an Ubuntu system to make it by following the instructions
below :

Install a command line lubuntu system using alternate (but you can also use
any method to install a Ubuntu or derivated system)
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common (to add add-apt-repository)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lubuntu-dev/lubuntu-daily (Adding daily build
of LXDE component)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gilir/q-project (temporary PPA for Qt
components)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install lxqt-metapackage
Reboot
Log-in to LXDE-QT Session (A Lubuntu Qt session will be available soon)

There is still many issues, but that should give you a working environment
to start to fix them ;-) All the packages and code inside will be unstable
for a while, so don't try it on a production system (using a VM is probably
a good idea).

Know issues :
- I'm using lightdm-gtk-greeter, because I don't know any functional Qt
display manager available on Ubuntu which doesn't bring half of KDE
components
- If the theme is horrible, try to switch it using qtconfig-qt4

All packages are build daily, so any updates made on git repo will be
includes in those packages.

For people using Debian, you can use the debian directories if you want to
build quick packages. There are located on launchpad :
https://code.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev (look at *-debian branches). Please
note that it's temporary debian directories, proper ones should be done
when lxqt will be suitable for inclusion in Debian.

Let me know if you have any problems with them. Upstream bugs should be
reported on github instead.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne