Chromium vs Firefox : Need testimonies

Fri May 31 19:10:18 UTC 2013

On 05/31/2013 11:53 AM, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to have more feedbacks before deciding to switch to Firefox,
> or to keep Chromium by default, I would like to ask you some
> testimonies and any feedbacks about the use of the 2 browsers. We need
> to evaluate the use of the 2 browsers *on old and not-so-fast
> hardware*. It's important because our main targets are this type of
> hardware. I know people are using Lubuntu on high specs hardware (like
> me), but this is not our main goal to optimize the system for this
> type of people.
>
> One tip if you want to compare memory usage between the 2 browsers :
> go to the address chrome://memory under chromium. That should not be
> the only source of information, but it can help in your evaluation.
>
> So, if you have feedback on using both browsers, please bring it to us
> :-) But please, keep the discussion on this topic (feedback on low
> spec hardware).
>
> Thanks in advance :-)
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne

Julien, and all:

In my experience, Firefox and Chromium appear to work well (equally?) on
my low-spec machines.  But on those machines, I don't spend much time
browsing, with multiple tabs open.

I like Firefox because it's easy for me to port my bookmarks from one
machine to another, without any requirement to have a Google account.
Also, Firefox is aware of Java Web-Start (.jnlp) files, and knows Java
Web-Start (icedtea) is what to open them with. Chromium seems to know
nothing about '.jnlp' files, and I have to download them to my machine,
and open them with the file browser.

It seems that Chromium presents a web-page (from being not running
before) faster than Firefox, but I haven't measured this perception.

--
Sincerely,
Aere