vUDS and preparation for 13.10

Fernando Botelho fernando.botelho at f123.org
Mon May 20 16:39:20 UTC 2013

On 05/20/2013 01:20 PM, Tong Sun wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Jonathan Nadeau <j.nadeau at charter.net>wrote:
>
>> I would vote against moving from Firefox to Chromium as the latter does
>>> not work with the Orca screen reader.
>>>
>>> Fernando
>>>

>> Yes the Orca screen reader doesn't work at all with Chromium.
>

> [In risking to be political incorrect] So 95% of people will not be
> enjoying the most popular Chromium because of the 5% of the people? I'd
> rather think that if you care about those people, you created a special
> edition especially for them, with all the normally-optional feature
> built-in for them out of the box.
>
> Well, apparently being political correct is more important for
> Ubuntu/LUbuntu. No argument with that.
>
> Not to wage a flaming war, BTW.
> Actually, I don't care. I don't care at all because I always make my own
> picks.

Well, when we make Lubuntu more accessible to the blind we also benefit
persons with other disabilities, which as a group are between 10 and 20%
of the world population.

If we assume that we are helping only 10% of the world population, this
is, some would argue, 10 times more people than today use Linux on their
desktops.

I will stop here since I suspect this is not about numbers. It is
probably about values.

The only thing I would like to finish with is:

If you say that you do not care, why do you try to block this group of
users arguing for popularity instead of what is correct?

We do care, and we care a lot about this. It affects us--and the people
we want to help--a great deal.

Fernando