13.04 video problems

Tue May 14 04:08:51 UTC 2013

On 05/13/2013 07:51 PM, Lee Gold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed 13.04 and then mediabuntu.  I have a video rendering
> problem.
> Watching DVDs the colors are wrong - much to saturated and orange,
> Watching flash on youtube on FF - it's unusable, broken, the vid renders
> as a
> tiny cube with distored colors.
>
> Is it a  driver problem? Is there a way to check for proprietary drivers
> for my chip? I'm using the integrated intel video on the motherboard.
> There's also an Nvidia card in a pci slot I can switch to. I suspect the
> nvidia card would work better, but I'd like to try fixing the intel
> chip's rendering if it's possible. Is this a known issue? Is there a
> fix? Thanks.
>
> $ lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM
> Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 01)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
> 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
> 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
> 00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
> 00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
> 00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2
> EHCI Controller (rev 01)
> 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
> 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC
> Interface Bridge (rev 01)
> 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller
> (rev 01)
> 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
> SMBus Controller (rev 01)
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
> 01:04.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
> 5200] (rev a1)
>
> - - - - -

Lee:

The problem you describe with the flash videos affects me too.

I haven't tried to play a video DVD, so I don't know if the other
problem affects me.  I am able to play short video files in a sub-folder
of my home folder, of types "wmv", "avi", "mov", "mp4", and "mpg", using
either mplayer or vlc, without the color problems you describe.

I suspect if you use the nvidia card, you will be okay.

I, on the other hand, have a machine with no card-slot for a graphics
card, so I am stuck with the Intel graphics, which worked fine on 12.10.

When I tested this machine on the live CD, I tested playing the above
video file types, and assumed everything would be okay (because they all
played successfully).  Unfortunately, flash player is different, and I
did not think to test it.

So now my primary development machine is upgraded to 13.04, and I cannot
watch youtube videos on it - not that I spend much time doing that, but
it is annoying.  I won't change it back, because there are new MIDI
audio features that I really want, available on it.

My other machines that have Intel graphics on them, all have nvidia
cards on them, and I have no such problems on those machines. YouTube
videos work fine on them.

I suspect that all Intel graphics drivers (even the ones that had no
problems in 12.10) have been dropped from support (are no longer
supported).

--
Sincerely,
Aere