Consequences for Lubuntu of Ubuntu's changes

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:41:06 UTC 2013

On 12/03/13 18:56, pierre gobin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know what was the Lubuntu Team opinion about recent
> news about Ubuntu. I am talking about the discussion about making
> Ubuntu a rolling release for non LTS releases (even if apparently, it
> will not be the case), and the announcement of MIR, his new display
> server.
>
> Have you any ideas, today, of possible consequences for Lubuntu ?
>
> Regards,
> Pierre GOBIN

Hi Pierre,

My concern about rolling release is what happens when something breaks,
as occasionally happens? With the current system you can easily roll
back to the last stable release. How easy will this be under rolling
releases?

I welcome someone having a go at the display server. The current X
system is getting quite old, for example support for multiple monitors
can cause problems. I am very reluctant to use my laptop with a strange
projector, without first having a practice in private, as I have had
embarrassing experiences where the projector was not compatible. This is
an area where linux is still quite a way behind Windows.

Barry T