LXLE Release - might be of interest to some

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 17:53:24 UTC 2013

On 10.03.2013 19:47, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For a few months, ending yesterday, I was using a 64bit machine with 1GB
>> RAM.  For my daily usage, it was about half a GB too small.  I have 3
>> or 4 LXterminals, a browser with 10+ tabs, a chat client, Thunderbird
>> and occasionally LibreOffice Writer and a second browser.  Most of the
>> time it squeaked by with a little swap usage, but occasional actions
>> (such as opening a bad marketing PDF) could cause it to thrash.  If I
>> were just running one or two apps, I think 1GB could be more than just
>> fine.  However, RAM usage seemed to always creep upwards during the
>> course of the day.  Chromium-browser was one culprit.
>>
>> I switched back to a 4GB machine yesterday and am tracking RAM usage for
>> a while.  So far it has been about 2.6 GB.
>

> Are you talking about Lubuntu, or LXLE?

Lubuntu.  On either system (1 GB or 4 GB) RAM usage creeps upward over
time.  If I use the machine for a marathon session, especially on the 1
GB system, swap starts to get used.  Here is RAM usage in KiB from "top"
with a reboot after 19:30:

	2013-03-10	19:00	2807492
	2013-03-10	19:05	2811264
	2013-03-10	19:10	3020268