LXLE Release - might be of interest to some

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 13:28:43 UTC 2013

On 10.03.2013 15:14, Julien Lavergne wrote:
[snip]
> However, when I see :
>
> "Runs great on any 64bit PC with 1 GB ram."
>
> I fear it's not as lightweight as we want on Lubuntu.

For a few months, ending yesterday, I was using a 64bit machine with 1GB
RAM.  For my daily usage, it was about half a GB too small.  I have 3
or 4 LXterminals, a browser with 10+ tabs, a chat client, Thunderbird
and occasionally LibreOffice Writer and a second browser.  Most of the
time it squeaked by with a little swap usage, but occasional actions
(such as opening a bad marketing PDF) could cause it to thrash.  If I
were just running one or two apps, I think 1GB could be more than just
fine.  However, RAM usage seemed to always creep upwards during the
course of the day.  Chromium-browser was one culprit.

I switched back to a 4GB machine yesterday and am tracking RAM usage for
a while.  So far it has been about 2.6 GB.

Regards,
/Lars