How to disable gnome-keyring-daemon for SSH?

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 10 07:17:36 UTC 2013

On 03/08/2013 04:57 PM, Peter Matulis wrote:

> i'm running Lubuntu 12.10 and i would like to disable gnome keyring
> daemon for SSH.

I am not sure how to prevent it from starting, but I find if I do

  killall gnome-keyring-daemon
  unset GNOME_KEYRING_PID GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL
  SSH_AUTH_SOCK=$(find /tmp/ssh-* -type s -name "agent.*" |head -1)

ssh then uses ssh-agent and not the gnome-keyring-daemon.  You could
probably put these commands in your ~/.bashrc file so they run at
session startup, if you want -- I have not yet tried that.

This is only a workaround, but it is better than nothing, I think :)

Jonathan