Nova-tuner a system optimization tool

Alexis López Zubieta azubieta at estudiantes.uci.cu
Fri Jun 14 20:27:31 UTC 2013

Hello:

I would like to introduce an application that I have been developing for
the Nova Light Linux distribution (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_%28operating_system%29). It is a sort
of system tuner that offers a simple interface to optimize some aspects
of a GNU/Linux distribution derived from Debian (such has Lubuntu). I
have done a also paper that is attached to this mail, but it is in
Spanish, for those that are not familiar with the language there is an
abstract in English. The source code is available at
git://github.com/azubieta/nova-tunner.git.

I hope it could be useful to you.

best wishes
Alexis López Zubieta
Nova Light Development Team

PS:
Paper abstract:
General purpose GNU/Linux distributions are focused on supply the needs
of a wide range of users. Those needs may
change from a user to another that’s why a system reconfiguration can
lead to a performance improvement and a
reduction in memory consumption. Nowadays this reconfiguration has to be
made manually, because of that the
objective of this investigation is to create an application with a user
graphic interface which allows the final user to
improve GNU/Linux systems attending to their needs. In its development
was followed an incremental and iterative
software development process using Python programing language and
“python-dialog” library to create the user
interface. The use of this tool allowed to reduce the average memory
consumption in 10 Mb and to increase the average
response time of the applications in 300 ms. This is included in Nova
Light system in its version 4.

http://www.uci.cu