ssh: Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 2: Too many authentication failures for XXXX

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 28 18:19:15 UTC 2013

Lars and Paul,

Is there an existing Launchpad bug report for this issue?  If not, and
the issue can be confirmed, let's get one opened.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 06:29 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:

> Your ~/.ssh/ directory has fewer than six public keys though,
> doesn't it?
>
> If I start with an empty ~/.ssh/ directory, then there is no
> problem. If I have fewer than six public keys in the directory, then
> there is no problem.  If I have six or more public keys, then
> somehow they are getting added to the agent in such a way as to
> interfere with regular login.
>
> This isn't a problem with the regular ssh agent, this seems to be
> something with GNOME utilities in Lubuntu or Lubuntu itself.

If you can duplicate the issue on Ubuntu that would be useful
information.  I'm hoping this is not an Lubuntu-specific issue...

Incidentally, I confess I do not possess more than six SSH keypairs so I
would never come across this issue in real usage.  I suspect that is
true for most users :)

Anyway, if you can test on Ubuntu 13.04 and report whether the bug
exists
there, as well as in Lubuntu, that would help.

Jonathan
--
  Jonathan Marsden
  jmarsden at fastmail.fm