[Lubuntu-comms] installing Lubuntu in less than 100 seconds

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 01:02:39 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-27 01:02, Iberê Fernandes wrote:
> 2013/6/26 Phill Whiteside <PhillW at ubuntu.com <mailto:PhillW at ubuntu.com>>
>
>     >> snip
>
>     I installed a system from a USB 3 pendrive to a USB 3 HDD in less than 1
>     minute and 40 seconds (including answering those questions). Here are
>     the computer specs.
>
>     << snip
>
>     I do have to question how many XP machines running on 128 Mb of RAM
>     have USB 3? I have a machine designed for Win 7 and it does not have
>     USB 3 [1]
>
>     Just my thoughts.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Phill.
>     1. LJ71 at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Hardware
>     P.S. please do add your machines to that list, it makes it really
>     easy to quote the specs on a bug report.
>     On 26 June 2013 22:19, Stephen Smally <eco.stefi at fastwebnet.it
>     <mailto:eco.stefi at fastwebnet.it>> wrote:
>
>         Hi guys, i haven't wrote on this list for a while (now i have
>         much more to do, including school), but i do like the "simplest
>         as possible" installer, i think is a good idea.
>
>         Also, we don't have to make lubuntu the most used os in the
>         world (at least, i don't feel like it should be) so please don't
>         think about it as the ultimate os for everyone. People have
>         different needs and lubuntu can't satisfy all of them.
>
>         And remember that the lubuntu community is made up of
>         volunteers, on this list everyone can state is opinion, but if
>         an idea seems good it should be followed, even if a little part
>         of the community doesn't agree.
>
>         Regards,
>         Stefano
>

>         On 26/06/2013 23:00, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>
>             Dear Ladies and Gentlemen!
>
>             I wanted to try something that is much simpler from the
>             ground, to
>             perform a basic installation (not only to be able to install
>             into a
>             computer with low RAM, but in general to be successful
>             without knowing
>             much).
>
>             I think some of the Windows XP users will try Lubuntu if the
>             word is
>             spread, that it is 'so easy to install Lubuntu'. I see this
>             situation:
>             After they dared try the one button installer on the old PC,
>             they will
>             get more interested and use the flexible installer to get a
>             dual boot
>             system on the new PC.
>
>             The one button installer works well with 128 MB RAM in a
>             real computer.
>             It is very easy to use, built into an installed Ubuntu Mini
>             system, and
>             portable enough to install from a 2 GB USB pendrive. It is
>             not intended
>             for CD/DVD.
>
>             Fair enough, I will not push this issue too hard. I will try
>             the one
>             button installer with some friends (most of them are not
>             very good at
> [...]

Hi Iberê, Phill and Stefano,

Simplicity is the key word. The one button installer performs well in
many situations:

Fast when the hardware allows it (for example USB 3). Lubuntu is good
also with USB 3, for example installed on such pendrives for portable
usage. You carry your system in the pendrive, and borrow computer
hardware where you are.

Stable when the hardware is scarce (usually low RAM). Faster than the
alternatives and not silent for a long time, so keeping the user happy
that something is happening.

Easy to manage because there are few choices: only to select target
drive if more than one suitable (the source and other unmountable drives
are excluded), and to decide to continue or not.

But it is only designed for computers that can boot from USB. And it is
not designed for dual boot.

It works with Celeron M and Pentium M computers if the tarball was made
from a 32-bit system. It is easy to replace it with a tarball made from
a 64-bit system. With a tarball of your current system you get a simple
backup/restore system, where the tarball is the image.

So the span, where it works well is wide, as long as you want a simple
installation with a root partition and a swap partition filling a whole
drive.

And finally, if you don't want the standard features, there are several
choices: The desktop iso, the alternate iso, the mini iso, and the
ultimate option to tweak the one button installer script file. It is
written in plain bash calling only some standard programs. I'm sure most
of us know terminal commands well enough to do that. But that is beyond
the original scope of this installer, simplicity for the user.

-o-

I know that USB 1.1 is very slow. If that is the only easily available
USB choice, it is probably faster to use the alternate iso installer.
but the one button installer should be stable, so a good choice if low
RAM. I don't think I have any computer that can boot via USB 1.1.

Some middle-aged computers have eSATA, that can also be used to connect
and boot the one button installer. My present production system, the
work-horse, 12.04.2 LTS, runs from an SSD box connected via eSATA. And
it is connected to a middle-aged hp xw8400 double xeon workstation. I
can connect it to other computers too, when I wish.

eSATA will outperform USB 2, but speed is less important than stability
and simplicity for installation. Anyway 'less than 100 seconds' made you
guys react, which is good ;-)

Best regards
Nio