[Lubuntu-comms] installing Lubuntu in less than 100 seconds

Iberê Fernandes ibere.fernandes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 23:02:38 UTC 2013

2013/6/26 Phill Whiteside <PhillW at ubuntu.com>

> >> snip
>
> I installed a system from a USB 3 pendrive to a USB 3 HDD in less than 1
> minute and 40 seconds (including answering those questions). Here are
> the computer specs.
>
> << snip
>
> I do have to question how many XP machines running on 128 Mb of RAM have
> USB 3? I have a machine designed for Win 7 and it does not have USB 3 [1]
>
> Just my thoughts.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.
> 1. LJ71 at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Hardware
> P.S. please do add your machines to that list, it makes it really easy to
> quote the specs on a bug report.
> On 26 June 2013 22:19, Stephen Smally <eco.stefi at fastwebnet.it> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys, i haven't wrote on this list for a while (now i have much more
>> to do, including school), but i do like the "simplest as possible"
>> installer, i think is a good idea.
>>
>> Also, we don't have to make lubuntu the most used os in the world (at
>> least, i don't feel like it should be) so please don't think about it as
>> the ultimate os for everyone. People have different needs and lubuntu can't
>> satisfy all of them.
>>
>> And remember that the lubuntu community is made up of volunteers, on this
>> list everyone can state is opinion, but if an idea seems good it should be
>> followed, even if a little part of the community doesn't agree.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stefano
>>

>> On 26/06/2013 23:00, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen!
>>>
>>> I wanted to try something that is much simpler from the ground, to
>>> perform a basic installation (not only to be able to install into a
>>> computer with low RAM, but in general to be successful without knowing
>>> much).
>>>
>>> I think some of the Windows XP users will try Lubuntu if the word is
>>> spread, that it is 'so easy to install Lubuntu'. I see this situation:
>>> After they dared try the one button installer on the old PC, they will
>>> get more interested and use the flexible installer to get a dual boot
>>> system on the new PC.
>>>
>>> The one button installer works well with 128 MB RAM in a real computer.
>>> It is very easy to use, built into an installed Ubuntu Mini system, and
>>> portable enough to install from a 2 GB USB pendrive. It is not intended
>>> for CD/DVD.
>>>
>>> Fair enough, I will not push this issue too hard. I will try the one
>>> button installer with some friends (most of them are not very good at
>>> computers). I might also upload something similar to the fake-PAE stuff.
>>> And I might come back with something well in time before Windows XP EOL.
>>>
>>> Jonathan suggested to make a preseeder for the alternate or mini iso. I
>>> intend to make one (for comparison), but not in the near future, and
>>> then I will probably ask for an update how to do it.
>>>
>>> -o-

> [...]
All good ideas are welcome, but I do agree with Phill re: USB 3 on machines
for Windows XP.

Again, Nio, I'm not saying your idea is not good. On the contrary, I
believe the easiest option is the best for newcomers.

So I'm just saying the time to install may vary according to the hardware
available on a true "WinXP hardware". And that's kind of a difficult answer
once WinXP has been on the market for something like 10+ years....

My laptop is a Core2Duo T7300 from 2007, it has the label "designed for
Windows XP" and I have no USB 3.0.

I also have a desktop Athlon XP 1800+ labeled "designed for Windows XP"
with no USB 2.0 nor 3.0. That's my test machine.

Besides note that all the USB 2.0 are located inside the laptop, not user
friendly at all. There are four USB 1.1 available outside the laptop for me
to choose what to connect.

lsusb output is:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0b97:7761 O2 Micro, Inc. Oz776 1.1 Hub
Bus 007 Device 003: ID 0b97:7772 O2 Micro, Inc. OZ776 CCID Smartcard Reader

My 2 cents.

Best regards,
Iberê