RAM needed for desktop installer reduced to half by zRAM

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 13:13:52 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

I was made aware of a typing error in the attached text file. 'RAM'
should be changed to 'swap' at the end of the line:

correct: Crashes at 224, 192 MB RAM also with 2 GB swap

-o-

Anyway, I have a short report from testing the desktop iso, that I
zsynced June 16 at 17.30 Central European time. It has zRAM, I tested it
in a computer bought in January 2004, a Dell Dimension 4600. I used the
mem boot option to make it use various amounts of RAM.

reduced to half compared to my previous tests in Raring. Now the desktop
installer reaches the same low levels as the alternate (text) installer.
It is possible to reach further down with special methods, as shown by
amjjawad (or by adding zRAM to the alternate iso too).

The desktop installer (ubiquity) in Lubuntu 32-bit

works without disk swap: down to 384 MB RAM
works running disk swap: down to 256 MB RAM

at 384 MB, free -m reports 369 MB
at 256 MB, free -m reports 242 MB

See the attached file.

Best regards