Minimum RAM required to install Saucy (Lubuntu 13.10) from Desktop ISO

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 17 15:56:31 UTC 2013

On 06/17/2013 04:53 AM, Leszek Lesner wrote:

> Am Montag, 17. Juni 2013, 12:48:27 schrieb Yorvyk:

>> On 17/06/13 02:13, Nio Wiklund wrote:

>>> 2. Or was I doing something seriously wrong?

>> Probably :D

>> We need to run Saucy installs on as much hardware as possible as I
>> believe there is more to this than just RAM size. I suspect some
>> old CD drives aren't really up to it. I know the one in this
>> machine is somewhat erratic.

> Therefore we need to recommend the usage of usb live sticks.
> CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives tend to fail and also cd/dvd-writers tend to
> write cd-rs with to much errors.

You are free to recommend what you like, but older PCs are likely to
need a working CDROM drive just to be able to boot into an installer on
a USB stick, because their BIOSes won't allow them to boot directly from
USB.

There are known easy ways to test the integrity of a desktop Lubuntu ISO
(and the drive it is in) once burned to a CD-R.  Use the "Check disk for
defects" boot menu item if you have any reason to suspect issues with
the drive or the optical media, that is what it exists for.

Given other issues such as the problems with usb-creator-gtk, I suggest
we keep things simple, and test one thing at once, here.

The Subject line of this thread is:

  Minimum RAM required to install Saucy (Lubuntu 13.10) from Desktop ISO

Let's test that.  Not test whether we can install with broken CDROM
drives, or whether older machines boot from USB.  Please?

Jonathan