Minimum hardware requirements for Adobe Flash

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Mon Jun 17 14:37:32 UTC 2013

On 6/17/2013 9:30 AM, Yorvyk wrote:
> According to those nice people at Adobe the minimum requirements for
> running Flash with Linux are:-
>

> 2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel Atom 1.6GHz or
> faster processor for netbooks
>
> Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® (RHEL) 5.6 or later (32 bit and 64 bit),
> openSUSE® 11.3 or later (32 bit and 64 bit), or Ubuntu 10.04 or later
> (32 bit and 64 bit)
>
> Mozilla Firefox 17 or Google Chrome
> 5
> 12MB of RAM; 128MB of graphics memory
>
> The hardware requirement, from my experience, appears to be remarkably
> accurate and maybe something we need to highlight.
>
> Is anybody using Gnash and is it any better in that respect?

"Maybe something we need to highlight."

I agree.  I spent a *lot* of time trying to figure out Adobe Flash
performance problems about a year ago when I was first digging into
Lubuntu.  Finally I wondered if it could possibly be a hardware
requirement issue and dug up those specs.  Though I had forgotten that
the graphics memory requirement is that high.  In my case it seemed that
the most sensitive requirements were the processor speed and the RAM.  I
would be interested to know how firm the graphics memory requirement is.

I also think this is important because of the widely-shared Lubuntu
aspiration to be a Windows XP replacement.  There are many old XP
machines (I have several here) that ran Flash successfully only because
they had not been updated to the current Flash version. Otherwise their
hardware would not measure up.  And on general-duty desktops, Flash is
something that users expect to work.