Lubuntu 12.10 on AMD Athlon 1800+ XP and 1GB RAM: installation crashes

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 17 05:07:48 UTC 2013

On 06/16/2013 09:24 PM, Iberê Fernandes wrote:

> Hardware has been cleaned and Ubuntu 10.04 is installed again.
> Somehow I did not manage to install neither Lubuntu 12.04 nor Lubuntu
> 12.10.

What happened when you tried?  And did you run memtest for a nice long
time, and look over the whole motherboard for "blown" capacitors while
you had the case open to clean the dust out?

> All ISOs and all burned CDs were double checked with:
> md5sum -c md5sum.txt | grep -v "SUCESSO"
>
> (SUCESSO means success because I'm running Lubuntu in portuguese from
> a laptop).

Just for information, you can do LANG=C to get boring non-localized
messages, so for example:

  LANG=C md5sum -c md5sum.txt |grep -v OK

should produce (and then grep -v will suppress) the "OK" output that
English-speaking people will expect.

This is a generally useful technique when reporting issues from a
non-English-locale machine.  Run commands with LANG=C so that the error
output (to add to your Launchpad bug report, or email to the list about
an issue) is in English.

In this case, though there is another, perhaps even better, way:

  md5sum -c md5sum.txt --quiet

which does not output all the "OK" (or "SUCESSO") lines :)  There is no
need for grep, or for caring about the locale, using this approach.
Only warnings and errors will be output.

One more way, if you are checking just one ISO image and you know its
name.  You can do:

  md5sum -c <(grep lubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso md5sum.txt)

and md5sum will only check that one entry, not all entries in the
md5sum.txt file, so you only see the one line you care about, not all
the warnings about the images in md5sums.txt that you do not have :)
True Unix folks can add --quiet to this one, too, so when it succeeds,
it generates no output in the traditional Unix way :)

[ Interesting that your file is called md5sum.txt, usually that file is
obtained like this:

  wget http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/precise/release/MD5SUMS

and so is named MD5SUMS by default ]

Jonathan