Ease of 32bit vs 64bit installation

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 20:06:21 UTC 2013

Hi Jonathan,

See inline comments

Best regards
Nio

On 2013-06-16 21:23, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 06/16/2013 09:15 AM, Eric Bradshaw wrote:

>>> Can you explain why?  What is the issue with the 64bit installer,
>>> and have you filed a Launchpad bug about it, so we can duplicate
>>> the issue and (hopefully) fix it?
>
>> No bug. Nothing to fix. I just find it easier.
>
> If it is different, such that i386 is easier to install than amd64,
> please describe that difference.  It probably should not exist, and so
> would be considered a bug :)  Can you document that difference for us?
>
>> I may be accused of living in the past, but in my opinion, for now,
>> there is more stability, less work-arounds needed, and more software
>> available for 32bit.
>
> I can't think of any of the close to 30000 packages in the default
> Ubuntu repositories that is available for i386 but not on amd64.  There
> may be something in multiverse where a commercial vendor has not
> provided a 64bit version... which packages are you thinking of?
> Likewise if you find Ubuntu software that is unstable on amd64 but
> stable on i386, please do file a bug report about that.  Do you have any
> specific examples?  Especially any that are reproducible?

andrew.46 who is looking after mplayer (svn) wrote two weeks ago in post
#1 in

"Bear in mind that codecs for 64 bit users are pretty minimal, the real
benefits here are for the 32 bit users. There is a continuing drive to
bring access to these file formats under the libavcodec umbrella so
hopefully one day these codecs will no longer be necessary."

I think there can still be problems or limitations with some 64-bit
multimedia packages and libraries.

>> Plus, as I am usually installing on smaller hard drives and almost
>> never have more than 2GB of RAM on a single computer (in fact my
>> usual is somewhere between 512MB and 1 GB);
>
> Oh, it's 100% fine to choose 32bit on smaller machines... but that is
> different from saying the i386 install "makes it easier", or that 64bit
> software is inherently less stable, or that software is not available
> for 64bit Lubuntu that is available for 32bit Lubuntu.  The experience
> should basically be the same, the available software from the official
> Ubuntu repositories should be the same.
>
> I'm not suggesting loading a 32bit OS on older hardware with low RAM is
> bad; it probably makes sense.  But it should be a choice.  I'm just
> wanting to make sure that any issues with installing and running the
> 64bit version on 64bit capable hardware are known about, and clearly
> described.
>
>> there is less memory usage with a 32 bit OS and software.
>
> Have you quantified this difference running Lubuntu, and documented your
> tests and their results somewhere?  That could be useful info.  Actually
> we are (Ali is!) about to do some RAM usage tests for 13.10, and I had
> not made testing 64bit vs 32bit a part of that... do you have solid test
> showing the difference is big enough that we need to test both
> architectures, because the installer may need more RAM for amd64 than
> for i386 installs to succeed?

I tested it but did not document it but a couple of years ago, probably
when 12.04 was released. I think the 64-bit version is stepping forward
all the time, so new tests are welcome :-)

My result was that the 64-bit version uses significantly more memory, at
least below 3-4 GB total installed RAM. It is easy to compare doing the
same thing and running the system monitor or htop at the same time. I
have also made a script, that logs the ram and swap with 5 seconds
interval. And it does not work faster (I tested a few tasks, cpu
intensive, ram intensive and read/write intensive), some tasks were a
little faster, some tasks a bit slower with 64-bits. (I had expected the
64-bit version to be significantly faster.)

So I prefer 32 bits in computers with less or equal to 3-4 GB RAM. My
family has three computers with 4 GB and one with 8 GB. All the others
(aging and suitable for Lubuntu) have 2 GB RAM or less.