RAM Usage During Installation of Lubuntu

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 16 19:36:03 UTC 2013

On 06/16/2013 11:22 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> I think your analysis is correct, so if you have low RAM
>
> 1. Make sure there is swap and that it is active before starting the
> installer
>
> 2. Do not touch it during the installation (at the partitioning page)

I think expecting novice users coming from Windows to pre-partition and
set up swap space before they install is asking a *lot*.  I'd much
prefer that we focus on installing to an HD with either no partitions,
or a Windows partition, on it, since that is the common case for
newcomers coming from a Windows OS on older hardware.

I think asking people to use the "Install Lubuntu" menu item on the
desktop image is fine, as it is not difficult, and indeed is even
logical, since that is exactly what they want to do :)

I think asking people with lower RAM machines to use the Alternate
Install CD is also fine, as it is no more difficult than using ubiquity,
just less pretty.

Anything beyond that (using netboot/mini.iso, or manual pre-partitioning
to add swap space, etc.) is, to me, a workaround rather than something
which we should expect normal users to have to deal with.  Suitable for
hobbyists, but not for the general public.

Since I'm writing the Installation chapter of the planned Lubuntu
Manual, if that viewpoint is totally wrong/incorrect/nuts, I need to
know that, ASAP :)  In the end it's likely to be my decision, but I am
interested in well-reasoned statements of different positions on this
from anyone in the Lubuntu community.

Jonathan