Autochecking is switched off

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 10:26:50 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

I think since Precise, autochecking the automounted filesystems is
switched off. I checked in an installed instance of Saucy right now, and
it is still installed without autochecking.

Is this intentional or has somebody overlooked it? After all, there is a
sharp warning about it in tune2fs. See the details at the end of this mail.

I usually set maximum mount count to 30, and I suggest that we switch it
on in Saucy, maybe with a higher number, for example 50, or set a check
interval for example once a week or once a month.

Best regards
Nio

-o-
sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdf3
Mount count:              5
Maximum mount count:      -1
Last checked:             Sat Jun 15 11:39:05 2013
Check interval:           0 (<none>)
man tune2fs
-c max-mount-counts

Adjust  the  number  of  mounts  after  which  the  filesystem  will be
checked by e2fsck(8).  If max-mount-counts is 0 or -1, the number of
times the filesystem  is mounted will be disregarded by e2fsck(8) and
the kernel.

Staggering  the  mount-counts at which filesystems are forcibly checked
will avoid all filesystems being checked at one time when using
journaled filesystems.

You should strongly consider the consequences of  disabling
mount-count-dependent checking  entirely.   Bad  disk  drives, cables,
memory, and kernel bugs could all corrupt a filesystem without marking
the filesystem dirty or in error.  If you are using  journaling  on your
filesystem, your filesystem will never be marked dirty, so it will not
normally be checked.  A filesystem error  detected  by  the  kernel
will  still  force  an  fsck on the next reboot, but it may already be
too late to prevent data loss at that point.

See also the -i option for time-dependent checking.
-o-