Default Programs to 13.10 and 14.04

Lars Nooden lars.nooden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 20:38:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, 神癒礁湖 (Rafael Laguna) wrote:
> Audacious has been updated a lot to a new version. Now it's a bit lighter
> and has more plugins and features. By experience, people use to like having
> separate programs for both media types, audio and video. I see no reason to
> remove Audacious (I must confess I can't live without it).

Which plug-ins do you recommend or use most?

> Gnome-MPlayer, otherwise, is a pain in the neck. It freezes or even doesn't
> load at all due to my video card limitations. Totem, instead, is using well
> GStreamer modules.

I see that VLC has a lot of dependencies.  That might be a barrier to
swapping it in place of Mplayer.  Totem seems to have fewer.  Is there a
way to poll the APT database to show conclusively which is the smallest
and with the fewest dependencies?

Regards,
/Lars