[Lubuntu-qa] Ubuntu Wiki - FromUSBStick

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 18:21:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-10 19:53, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013, at 01:49 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>
>> I have edited the Ubuntu Wiki - FromUSBStick page ...
>
>> The startup disk creator version usb-creator-gtk is buggy in Lubuntu
>> 13.04 and 13.10. Use usb-creator-kde or one of the other tools. See
>>    this bug report (and comments #15 and #16).
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1165200/
>
> Wouldn't it be more useful to provide the temporary workaround of
>
>   sudo apt-get install python-gudev gir1.2-gudev-1.0 -y
>
> (above is typed from memory, use with care!) instead of turning people
> away from the tool we expect to be on the Lubuntu ISO?
>
> Jonathan

Thank you for the reply,

I need feed-back, so that I don't destroy anything, even if the
intention is good.

Your ppa makes a big improvement of usb-creator-gtk :-) It probably
works more or less without issues to create standard live USB drives
without persistence.

But I think it is still flaky, particularly the 64-bit version. Remember
that Julien got segfault, when he tested it. Also the 32-bit version can
misbehave, unless the system and USB drive are well prepared.

I have not been able to file a bug about the segfault. It does not
activate apport. How could I do it?

-o-

I have a question: did you do anything else than adding those libraries?
Or do you think someone else has provided some improvement, that helps
usb-creator-gtk work?

And are your packages the same (version) as what would be installed in

- an original 13.04 system without any updates?

- a fully updated 13.04 system?

As I wrote in one of the mails, it feels like usb-creator-gtk has
improved compared to when I started testing it with those two (same?)
libraries in an installed system. Or am I only using it in a more
consistent way to produce good persistent drives?

-o-

On the other hand, the recommendation to use usb-creator-kde is only a
temporary solution for people to use *now*. I would like to get the GTK
version work well, and have it included in the iso file (which is
completely impossible with the KDE version due to the huge KDE library
extra load.

-o-

But if you think it reduces the chances to get usb-creator-gtk debugged,
I will remove the 'temporary edit' about it from the wiki and from the
tutorial.

Best regards
Nio