RAM Usage During Installation of Lubuntu (was: zRAM)

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 08:25:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-10 09:44, Tracer wrote:
> [...]

I think the difference is *already installed swap*

and it is probably not told to the newbies clearly enough, how important
it is when the RAM is low.

If you start with a computer without linux, there will be no swap, and
if the RAM is below 1 GB (or maybe below 768MB), you should start
editing the partitions with for example gparted, and at least create
swap. I think it is too late at the partitioning page of the installer
(if the you reach that page at all).

There are also other work-arounds, as has been indicated in this mail
tread as well as other recent treads: zRAM, switching off the
slide-show, using the alternate installer ...

So I encourage you and everybody else to use this opportunity to make it
clear, that we need improvements either of

Plan A: the most used installer,
or
Plan B: much better documentation,

and to encourage whoever has the capability and time to help doing it.

Best regards
Nio