RAM Usage During Installation of Lubuntu (was: zRAM)

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 05:23:13 UTC 2013

Phill and Jonathan,

Excuse me for adding you to the list. But maybe you know what is counted
or tracked on our wiki pages (visits, downloads ...)

inline again ...

Best regards
Nio

On 2013-06-09 06:58, Iberê Fernandes wrote:
> 2013/6/9 Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com <mailto:nio.wiklund at gmail.com>>
>
>     Hi Iberę,
>     See inline text
>     Best regards
>     Nio
>
>     It's a great idea too try to understand how a newcomer might navigate in
>     our wiki pages.
>

> Does the wiki uses any redirects to count clicks? Example: At my last
> job on web software everything was tracked, from the home page until the
> last inner page we could know what was hot and what was not.
>
> I'm not saying redirects are the best tool to track clicks, but I was
> wondering if there's any kind of tracking on the wiki.

I don't know, but I doubt there is any click counting. Maybe counting
visits and downloads ...

>     > Question: How do we track failed or successfull instalations? Besides
>     > the examples (Ubiquity, slides) above, do we know where else on the
>     > installation our users are giving up?
>     >

>     It would be very valuable to know. But hard because it is free. If
>     people pay, that action is the first feed-back. And they will be more
>     prone to complain, if it is not working, and demand help to fix it or
>     money back.
>

> I did not mean paid software. My thoughts, not sure if it's doable:

Of course not, but I mentioned it as a contrast to free software, with
very different possibilities to track or estimate the amount of users
and result for the users and their satisfaction.

> 1) user downloads installer. how many downloads did we have? figure may
> not say much, once I can copy my iso files to my friends pendrives.

But still something (for example comparing the number of downloads of
the different iso files).

> 2) user tries to install and it's a success. installer sends thru the
> web it was a sucess. now we know how many installations we have and what
> was the iso source (32 bits, 64 bits, alternate, minimal, ppc...)
>
> I know... it's a privacy issue. But I'm just wondering what we track or
> not...
>
> Cheers,
> Iberê

I think a much higher fraction of our users are unwilling to send such
information automatically compared to Windows users.

Maybe a polite question could be accepted, for example: "Do you allow
the system to send this status report about the success of this
installation? It would help us making Lubuntu better. No personal
information and no security information is collected. [And the report is
shown in a window.]"